DEAR DIARY BOY
An Exacting Mother, Her Free-Spirited Son, and Their Bittersweet Adventures in an Elite Japanese School
is now available from: Arcade Publishing
Dear Diary Boy is an intensely personal, heartwarming, and heartbreaking chronicle of one mother and child’s experience in a prestigious private Tokyo school. It’s a tale that will resonate with all parents as we try to answer the age-old questions of how best to educate our children and what, truly, is in their best interests versus what is in our own.
- Association for Women in Finance: June 10, 2019 — 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm Roppongi Hills, Tokyo
- Southern Festival of Books: Oct. 12, 2018 – 2 pm Nashville, TN (authors link)
- Morningside Retirement and Health Services: Oct. 3, 2018 – 7 pm 100 La Salle Street #MC, NYC
- Kinokuniya Books New York: Sept. 15, 2018 – 2pm – 3:30pm 1073 Avenue of the Americas, NYC 2018
- Bryant Park Author series: August 8, 2018 -12:30 – 1:45pm Bryant Park, NYC
Kumiko Makihara writes about her impressions of life in Japan and the United States, two countries she has been traveling back and forth between for most of her life. Her columns have appeared in the International Herald Tribune, the New York Times Magazine, The Washington Post and Newsweek, as well as in the books Reimagining Japan: The Quest for a Future That Works and Tsunami: Japan’s Post Fukushima Future. She previously was a reporter for Time Magazine and the Associated Press and a features editor at the Moscow Times. Her book Dear Diary Boy was published by Arcade in July 2018.